Simple Black Bean Burgers
This veggie burger is both easy and quick. I like to make a large batch and freeze the leftovers. They are hearty and wholesome.
Yields: 6-8 burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Two 15-ounce cans black beans (3 cups), rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon flax meal
3 tablespoons hot water
3/4 cup dry oats
1/2 cup cooked brown rice (or cooked quinoa)
1/2 cup minced onion
3/4 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend or Mexican Spice Blend
3 tablespoons salsa or diced tomatoes
1 lime juiced and zested (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Mash the beans coarsely with a fork or potato masher in a mixing bowl. You don't want to puree the beans, so leave some half chunks remaining.
3. In a small bowl, soak the flax meal in the water and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the flax meal mixture and the remaining ingredients to the mashed beans. Mix everything together with a fork until you have a uniform consistency. This will take a minute or two.
5. Form the bean mixture into the burger sizes that you like. It's helpful to have wet hands when forming the patties. You should get 6-8 burgers.
6. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned.
Kim's Hints: I like to incorporate other veggies such as spinach, kale, or carrots. The key is to process the veggies into fine shreds so they combine evenly into the burgers.