Updated: Mar 22, 2019
Remember those traditional fish sticks from the freezer? Kids and adults love finger foods and this recipe really captures the flavor, texture, and look of a real fish stick. You can make these fillets into patties or sticks depending on your personal preference.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
2 tablespoons flax meal
5 tablespoons water
1-15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, or 1 ½ cup cooked chickpeas
1-15-ounce can artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
½ cup oats
½ cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 nori Sheet, torn or cut into small pieces (I like to use kitchen shears for this)
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt/Pepper to taste
1 cup panko bread crumbs (for coating)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, mix the flax meal and water. Set aside to thicken.
3. Pulse the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add the artichokes hearts near the end of the processing and pulse until coarsely chopped.
4. Transfer the chickpea and artichoke mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the oatmeal, rice, Old Bay, mustard, nori, dill, lemon juice, flax mixture, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Form the dough into four equal patties or into sticks about 1 inch by 3 inches. Coat each patty or stick evenly with the panko crumbs and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with your favorite plant based dressing or mayonnaise. We love these fishless sticks with creamy horseradish sauce.
Creamy horseradish sauce
Horseradish sauce is a mild sauce the is perfect for a veggie burger, falafel, or zucchini cakes. This sauce is slightly thinner than a traditional mayonnaise which makes it a perfect drizzle for burgers and vegetables.
Yields: 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 0 minutes
4 ounces extra firm tofu
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon tahini
2 1/2 tablespoons horseradish
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Place all the ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.